Tips for creating new content that engages with your audience.
Just about any type of business needs content development, but it is especially important for businesses that sell or market themselves in the digital space. Websites, advertisements, and social media efforts all require plenty of new content to be pumped out on a regular basis. Anyone who is charge of writing or coming up with content for a business knows how difficult it can be to continuously find new topics and develop fresh content that is engaging and informative. This article aims to help bring clarity and focus to content development and help establish some guidelines for writing content in addition to suggesting some great resources for new content.
Content Building Best Practices
When building content, the marketing department (or whichever department oversees content development) should have guidelines, regulations, and goals to follow. One of the most important things about content development is that others know the value of your content and recognize you as an authority on the topic you are writing about. Developing goals can help to structure your content development and give a purpose and direction to your writers. Tuning your writers into the end goal helps to ensure that you have a better content end product. When you establish goals, it also helps to know what type of positions you need to hire and what their specialty might be whether it is a particular content topic or a social media channel. Taking content development seriously and organizing it as its own department or sub-department will help lead your company into the future as content becomes increasingly important as a marketing tool.
Types of Content
Did you know there are different types of content? Knowing the different types of content will actually help you brainstorm for ideas when it’s time to put pen to paper and create the content. Using these different types of content for the appropriate situation will help increase the success of your campaigns all around. If you think about it, you probably already knew and actively participate in these types of marketing but didn’t realize that they are also types of content:
· Personalized Content: Writing content aimed at particular segments of your target audience.
· Location Based Content: Targeting your content to individuals based on application ping by location or similar ways, such as Facebook advertising.
· Real-Time Marketing Content: What is happening or trending now and how does it relate to your business? Building content based on trending topics and pop culture that is relevant to your business is a great way to extend your reach and create engaging content.
Out of the Box Content Creation Ideas
How can you come up with continuous new ideas for content? First, think about the different reasons or the purpose for your content as well as the channel you are publishing it on. Here are some reasons that might be behind your content: to educate and inform, entertain, act as an aid in building your online reputation, optimizing your online marketing efforts, to entertain your audience, interact and message with your customers and followers, to establish your expertise or thought leadership, or to improve on servicing your customers. Of course, no matter the specific reason behind each post, the main goal behind content is to increase the effectiveness of your overall marketing plan and cause an increase in the return on your investment. That should be considered as your main goal with the specific goal as the secondary one. When you think about the different goals you have, they can certainly fuel your content. Here are some more ideas for building content:
· Make something old new again: Do you have old content or have you read something that you think needs updating? Those are great sources for content.
· Write a response to relevant material: Have a rebuttal or agreement to an article or paper you have read? Writing an answer, rebuttal, or agreement to relevant material can be a great source for new, engaging, and though provoking content.
· Content isn’t only text: Remember to mix up your content and include images, video,and infographics too.
· Current events: Looking to current events or local events and tying them into your own blog or social media posts are a great way to show how your business is relevant to current events and pop culture news.
· Guest writers: Hearing from only one source is not always good all of the time.Mix it up a bit by looking for guest writers.
· Share others’ content: Do you think that other content from non-competing but relevant sources would be interesting to your followers and customers? It most likely is. Sharing other content from related companies can benefit your readers and followers and it will likely benefit you by growing your network and getting reciprocal shares back too.
Conclusion and Takeaways for Your Business
If you haven’t already realized that content is an important part of your business and marketing efforts, then hopefully the information in this article has helped you not only come to that realization, but also helped offer ideas on what types of content to develop. The right content can help drive success for your business for a number of different reasons. In most cases, offering a variety of content will attract and engage your audience and satisfy your customers all at the same time. We would love to hear your out of the box ideas for building content and what types of content have worked for your company.